Madville Publishing announces a DEADLINE EXTENSION for:
Signed, Sealed, Delivered: The Motown Poetry Review
We’re dancing in the street, celebrating our new poetry anthology!
Help us celebrate the Motown legacy, both past and present. The crossover label made rhythm and blues the soul of American popular culture. Honor the artists connected to Hitsville, USA, and 30 years’ worth of “The Sound of Young America.”
Don't rehash the lyrics. Instead, show us your knowledge of Motown, its history and its current place amongst R&B, soul, and Hip-Hop artists. Pay homage to the greats: Martha and the Vandellas, The Temptations, The Four Tops, The Supremes, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, The Jackson Five, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Rick James, The Pointer Sisters, Lionel Ritchie, Teena Marie, DeBarge, Erykah Badu, Toni Braxton, Queen Latifah, Diddy, Ne-Yo, Lil Yachty, Migos and so many more. Show us the artistic and cultural impact of Berry Gordy, Jr., the label and the artists.
Keep in mind titles are free for usage, but lyrics cost money. A LOT of money. Leave the artistry of those famous lyrics to the songwriters!
- Submit up to five poems via Madville Publishing’s Submittable portal. No single poem should be over three pages long.
- There’s an $8.00 submission fee, but your work will be considered for cash prizes: $300 for first place, $150 for two runners-up.
- Previously published work is acceptable as long as rights have reverted back to you.
- Submissions should be “blind.” Author name should not appear on the submissions anywhere. This info is collected elsewhere when you submit.
Submissions open March 10 and close June 1, 2023.
The anthology will launch at AWP 2024.
Editors: Cherise Pollard, Yalonda JD Green, Curtis Crisler, and Luanne Smith
The winning poet receives a $1,000 advance, a standard royalty contract, and 20 copies of the published book. Finalists will also be considered for future publication.
with preliminary readers:
[judge bio and photo]
· Eligibility: We will be happy to receive work by any poet writing in English. Poems published in print or online periodicals, anthologies, or chapbooks may be included, but the manuscript itself must be unpublished. Original work only; translations are ineligible.
· Format: Minimum of 48 pages. There is no maximum length, but we expect manuscripts not to be much more than 90 pages. Pages should be numbered with no more than one poem per page. Please include a title page with title only, a table of contents, and an acknowledgments page.
· Simultaneous Submissions: Simultaneous submissions are acceptable. Please notify Madville Publishing immediately if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
· Multiple Submissions: Submission of more than one manuscript is acceptable, but each manuscript must be submitted separately and include a separate entry fee.
· International Submissions: We accept international submissions.
· Revisions: The winner will have the opportunity to revise the manuscript before publication. No revisions will be considered during the reading period.
· SUBMISSIONS SHOULD BE BLIND. PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE AUTHOR NAME ANYWHERE ON THE MANUSCRIPT.
· Entry Fee: $25
· Deadline: September 30, 2022.
· Winner will be announced by December 31, 2023, and the winning collection will be published Fall 2024.
· Visit https://madvillepublishing.com/submission/ for more information.